Below, you’ll find activities for introducing ungrading to students. You’ll also see texts on ungrading that are specifically made for students.
Labor-Based Grading Activities
- Reviewing the Grading Contract with Students (This activity can be used the first week of class after students have read through the contract. I have found this activity to be really helpful for students in helping them understand the grading contract. Once they understand the requirements, students and instructor can also start negotiating the conditions for a ‘B’ and ‘A’ grade.)
Labor-Based Grading Texts for Students
- “Explaining Labor-Based Grading to Student Writers” by Traci Gardner (2017)
- “What is a labor-based grading system and how will it produce a final course grade in a writing course?” by Asao Inoue (2021)
- “What does a labor-based grading system afford you as a student and learner in a writing course?” by Asao Inoue (2021)
- “So Your Instructor is Using Contract Grading…” by Dan Melzer, D.J. Quinn, Lisa Sperber, and Sarah Faye (No Date)